IEEP launches briefing for Parliamentarians: Combating Climate Change – Maintaining Momentum
On 2 September IEEP launched a briefing aimed at 'Supporting Europe's Parliamentarians' in 'Combating Climate Change – Maintaining Momentum'.
The briefing, and associated website, is intended as a resource for MEPs as they enter the new Parliamentary term. MEPs are taking up their seats at a time of critical importance for climate policy – at the both European and global scale. Between 2004 and 2009 MEPs played a leading role in shaping an unprecedented package of new policy measures, which gave the EU momentum in addressing climate change. IEEP's briefing outlines the challenges faced by Parliamentarians in the next five years, including the reflections of MEPs, from across the political parties, on the future of climate action.
These resources are part of a broader programme of activities by IEEP to support the new Parliament's engagement on climate issues. MEP leadership will be vital in light of both the imminent international negotiations on a post 2012 framework, and the need to take forward implementation and further policy development to retain Europe's credibility in the climate debate.
The briefing consists of the following concise sections:
- Climate Change - headline messages
- The urgency of action
- Delivering a low carbon future
- An equitable international deal
- Combating Climate Change - a tool kit for EU action
- The ongoing challenge
In addition to English the briefing materials can be downloaded in Bulgarian, Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Romanian and Spanish. Visit the Combating Climate Change website
The main briefing is supplemented by additional resources aimed at helping interpret the climate debate and EU law including:
- Glossary of terms - summaries of key terms and concepts used in the climate debate
- Key EU climate change legislation - key features, challenges and next steps
- Detailed references - summary of all the documents used to inform the briefing and links to these resources
- Key climate facts - collation of key facts on greenhouse gas emissions and EU action
- Key contacts - experts operating at the EU level that may be able to assist in understanding climate issues and solutions
- Timetables for action: