Event | Sustainability on the farm: Shared ambition in Canada and the EU
This webinar will look at some of the efforts being undertaken in Canada and the EU when it comes to agriculture and sustainability.
Thu, 26 November 2020
About the event
This event is part of a series organised by the Mission of Canada to the EU on common global ‘green’ policy priorities, given the importance of environment and climate issues on both the Canadian and EU agendas, including as part of the recovery from COVID-19.
Considering the importance of the agriculture sector in meeting environmental and climate objectives, this webinar will look at some of the efforts being undertaken in Canada and the EU when it comes to agriculture and sustainability. The event will be co-hosted by the Government of Canada and the Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP).
Canadians and Europeans are increasingly concerned with how their food is grown and processed and its impact on the environment and public health.
The webinar will look to showcase practical examples where efforts are being made in Canada and the EU to achieve the objectives of environmental, social and economic sustainability in the food supply chain – objectives which are also at the core of the EU Green Deal and in particular the Farm to Fork Strategy. The webinar will use some of the priorities set out in the EU’s Farm to Fork Strategy as a launching pad to demonstrate how Canadian and European farmers can show leadership in sustainable farming in order to ensure that we all continue to have access to nutritious, safe and high-quality food, whilst protecting the natural resources on which production relies.
To this end, Agriculture and Agri-food Canada Deputy Minister Chris Forbes will provide an introduction to the webinar, followed by a moderated panel discussion with key stakeholder from policy-making to practice where themes related to agriculture and sustainability/environmental stewardship/combatting climate change will be explored.
Dr Ben Allen, Head of Agriculture and Land Management Programme, IEEP
- Chris Forbes – Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Agri-food Canada (introductory remarks)
- Andréanne Léger – Deputy Director, Environment Policy Division, Agriculture and Agri-food Canada
- Gijsbertus Schilthuis – Head of Unit, Policy Perspectives, DG AGRI, European Commission
- Andrea De Roo, M.Sc., PAg, CCA – Grain and cattle farmer and professional agrologist in south-east Saskatchewan, Member of the Canadian Agricultural Youth Council
- Alice Cerutti – Head of Cascina Oschiena, an Italian rice farmer located in the Italian region Piedmont
- Dr. Mario Tenuta, Ph.D., PAg – Professor of Soil Ecology, University of Manitoba
- Nick Jacobs – Director, IPES-Food, Expert in agri-food, trade and development policy
- Welcome and intro by the moderator (5 min)
- Short intervention, Deputy Minister Forbes (10 min)
- Moderated Q & A with panellists (1 hour, 10 min)
- Closing remarks & wrap-up, moderator (5 min)